Jared Cannonier is again within the win column.
Within the UFC on ESPN 29 major occasion Saturday, Cannonier (14-5 MMA, 7-5 UFC) defeated Kelvin Gastelum (17-8 MMA, 11-8 UFC) by way of unanimous choice (48-47, 48-47, 48-47). The middleweight bout befell on the UFC Apex in Las Vegas. It aired on ESPN and streamed on ESPN+.
For 5 rounds, Gastelum and Cannonier battled. Whereas Gastelum appeared to land the more practical photographs within the first two rounds, dwell and unofficial statistics on the printed indicated Cannonier was efficiently outnumbering him within the assault.
In Spherical 3, Cannonier landed a clear verify hook – the primary really vital shot of the combat. The punch dropped Gastelum to the seat of his shorts, however he scrambled again to his toes and survived a charging Cannonier.
— UFC (@ufc) August 22, 2021
The combat entered the championship rounds with each males comparatively recent. After a methodical method from Gastelum within the putting division, Cannonier clipped him with an uppercut. Whereas maybe extra off-balance than damage, Gastelum once more hit the mat – and once more, he bounced again up, seemingly unfazed.
The ultimate spherical was extra point-fighting, except a Gastelum takedown try. Gastelum briefly scooped Cannonier’s legs out and so they hit the mat, however just for a number of seconds. As soon as separated, Cannonier defended Gastelum’s subsequent try. Cannonier claimed an eye fixed poke within the ultimate minute and though Gastelum tied him up, he was capable of defend a 3rd takedown try.
Cannonier’s return from a near-year layoff resulting from a number of arm surgical procedures was profitable. He bounced again into the win column after an October 2020 loss to former UFC middleweight champion Robert Whittaker, the combat he sustained his arm damage in. Cannonier strikes to 4-1 since he dropped to middleweight in 2018.
— UFC (@ufc) August 22, 2021
For Gastelum, who’s 29, the loss is his fourth in 5 outings. Regardless of his struggles to extend his win totals, Gastelum has confirmed sturdy and aggressive as 4 of these losses have come by way of choice.
Up-to-the-minute UFC on ESPN 29 outcomes embrace:
- Jared Cannonier def. Kelvin Gastelum by way of unanimous choice (48-47, 48-47, 48-47)
- Mark Madsen def. Clay Guida by way of break up choice (29-28, 28-29, 30-27)
- Parker Porter def. Chase Sherman by way of unanimous choice (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Saidyokub Kakhramonov def. Trevin Jones by way of technical submission (guillotine choke) – Spherical 3, 4:39
- Vinc Pichel def. Austin Hubbard by way of unanimous choice (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Alexandre Pantoja def. Brandon Royval by way of submission (rear-naked choke) – Spherical 2, 1:46
- Austin Lingo def. Luis Saldana by way of unanimous choice (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Brian Kelleher def. Domingo Pilarte by way of unanimous choice (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Josiane Nunes def. Bea Malecki by way of knockout (punch) – Spherical 1, 4:54
- William Knight def. Fabio Cherant by way of knockout (punches) – Spherical 1, 3:58
- Ignacio Bahamondes def. Roosevelt Roberts by way of knockout (head kick) – Spherical 3, 4:55
- Ramiz Brahimaj def. Sasha Palatnikov by way of technical submission (rear-naked choke) – Spherical 1, 2:33